Friday, November 1

Medicine as a Course?

Here's to some of my juniors who was confused on what course to choose after SPM...

Before I start I would like to implant something in your mind,

Other's opinion on any course, DOES NOT MATTER!
cause at the end,
YOU are the one that make the decision,
and YOU are the one that will face the consequences, in YOUR way.
not their's.
They might say it is boring, YOU might felt it interesting.
They might say it is hard, YOU might felt it easy.

LIFE IS ABOUT TAKING CHANCES.
Why let their thoughts scared you then?
:)


Alright, if you already get that in the mind of yours, I shall share about my life as a medical student so far.

I can only share about medical course cause it would not be fair enough if I make a comment about other courses, cause I haven't go through the other courses myself, it's like judging them without trying them myself. 
And please please again keep in mind that this is my thought, my opinion, my life as a medical student so far, not yours, not others. So, you MIGHT have it differently, others MIGHT have it differently.


Okay then.

I will start by introducing the subject that I have go through so far.
For MBBS in Taylor's so far I haven't use my calculator yet. HAHAHA. So yeah, no maths related subject.
You will have it during Foundation in Science, since it is foundation, so you will learn all science thingy, physics, math and mostly all the subject you have for your SPM, just going deeper I guess.

After you started you medical degree, not really science subject, more to medical-related science of course. We have anatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, pathology, physiology, pharmacology and all that is synonym to these. For soft skill, we have clinical skill, where we learn how to perform injection, examine patient, basically all the stuff that doctors need to practice in the clinic. We also learn communication skill, which is about doctor-patient relationship, effective communication for better diagnosis and so on.
The learning style we have is that we learn block by block, so we have foundation block (not the same with Foundation In Science), haematology & immunology block, cardiovascular block, respiratory block, gastrointestinal tract block, nervous system block and many more to come. We will have 1 theory exam paper for each block. We also have OSPE (Objective Structured Practical examination) and OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination), which are quite similar as both exam test our skills and hands-on capabilities.

What I think about this course so far is that it really take GRIT to survive this course.
Well, grit is nothing but a positive trait regarding a passion or perseverance to achieve the long term goals.
In other words, it is how strong will you keep holding on to stay in track and keep on improving yourself despite of the obstacles and failure that you need to face from time to time.
I'm not going to lie. It is not easy. At some point, me myself felt so unmotivated and literally down with my studies. But b*tch please? :P I'm still here!! still fighting strong!! B)
Every time I fall, I get back up. Why? How? I left myself with that choice only.
If FALL, GET BACK UP! simple. :)
Cause I choose this course, I choose to be in this pathway. Turning back is not really my style. I rather die fighting :P
I'm not trying to set up a negative thought on this course but you should know, it is not going to be easy.
Orang melayu cakap,
BUKAN SENANG NAK JADI SENANG :)

Just try to enjoy the journey. Furtheremore, YOLO right? hahahahaha
 As I go through the course, I can see how medicine turn a first class student to a grade E student. hahahahahaha....
 Don't be so shock.
 In medicine, grade A is so rare. VERY RARE. And B is the new A. C is the new B and the list follows. Failure is common. hahahaha. Be Ready. Physically and mentally.

As a conclusion,
Medicine is not as hard as they said. It's depend. Just like the other courses. HAHAHAHAHA
Trust me, GRIT takes you everywhere. You will get through everything anything with it. Here's a link to a video regarding GRIT that might inspired you as it did to me :)

Good luck and all the best. 

XOXO,
T





No comments:

Post a Comment